Hong Kong Lacrosse High Performance Programme – Men's and Women’s Head Coach
The Hong Kong Lacrosse Association (HKLA) has announced the establishment of the Hong Kong Lacrosse High Performance Programme (HPP), and is seeking two head coaches, one for the men's and one for the women’s programme.
The HPP is directed towards those athletes with aspirations of representing Hong Kong at the international level. This ongoing programme is designed so that participants receive top level instruction and support preparing them for the next step in their development and achievements. The appointed Head Coach will receive support from assistant coach, team managers, strength and conditioning coach, physiotherapist and sport psychologist.
Both Head Coaches of HPP will lead the programme to seek potential athletes for the National Team, as well as the Junior National Teams.
- Be responsible for the development of the HPP men’s/ women’s programme
- Select and lead the required squads for tournaments
- Work with the Association and the supporting team (assistant coach, strength and conditioning coach, physiotherapist, sport psychologist and management team) to plan and run the programme
- Involvement in the development of youth lacrosse in general in Hong Kong in accordance to the plans of the Association.
- High level lacrosse playing experience
- Demonstrated success as a Men’s/ Women’s Lacrosse coach
- Able to motivate and relate to a group of wide range of age and backgroud
- Exceptional time management and organization skills to facilitate remote planning
- Innovative and energetic to develop a young programme
- Able to travel to Hong Kong 2 weeks prior to tournaments
- Able to relocate to Hong Kong is an advantage.
- Tentative tournament dates for coming year:
- Nov 7-9, 2014 Singapore Spectacular 2014
- Apr, 2015 Hong Kong Lacrosse Open
- July 4-11, 2015 ASPAC – Bangkok, Thailand
Accommodation and travel expenses will be provided. Modest stipend/salary available based upon experience.
- 2-3 Recommendations or references from coaches, athletic directors or national/state-wide or comparable organizations.
SALARY: Volunteer (with housing and travel expenses provided, stipend negotiable)
Start Date: Immediate
Contract Terms: 1 year, extension depending on performance
Application deadline: 24th October, 2014
Contact for application and information:
Executive Director of Hong Kong Lacrosse Association
Hong Kong Lacrosse High Performance Programme
The Hong Kong Lacrosse High Performance Programme (HPP) is directed towards those athletes (male and female) with aspirations of representing Hong Kong at the international level. This ongoing programme is designed so that participants receive top level instruction and support preparing them for the next step in their development and achievements. Athletes will receive international level instruction, high level competition, fitness testing-training-monitoring, and sport psychology education.
Rationale and Intent
One of the main goals of the Hong Kong Lacrosse Association (HKLA) is to improve the calibre of lacrosse in Hong Kong, and to improve on the Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) world rankings. The HKLA is committed to achieving this goal, and the HPP is a key strategy to that end. The programme will serve as talent identification and recruitment for the Hong Kong Lacrosse National Teams (Men’s, Women’s, Under 19).
- Male and Female lacrosse players aged 16 and above with a commitment to developing themselves in the sport
- Athletes with aspirations to compete internationally including the World Championships/Cup tournaments
-Athletes need to meet or have the intention/capability to meet FIL player eligibility criteria.
- To provide athletes with the opportunity to enhance their skills and abilities and to prepare them for international competition at the National Team level.
- To provide athletes with lacrosse skill development opportunities through on field preparation and competition.
- To provide athletes with access to strength and conditioning coaching, training programs and assessments.
- To provide athletes with access to sport psychology training, nutritional education and injury recovery and prevention techniques.
- All athletes selected to the HPP are expected to participate in all scheduled training, development and evaluation sessions.
- Athletes will be selected to participate in specific local and international competitions
- Athletes in the programme will be required to participate in “community involvement” activities as organised by the programme. ie. coaching youth clinics, volunteering at team events, etc.
Programme Schedule to Summer 2015 (future date information will be added later)
September: Programme Announcement and Registration
Late September: Tryouts and initial athlete selection to HPP
October to November: 2-3 Training sessions per week
December - March: 1-2 Training sessions per week
January: Assessment of athlete membership in HPP, consideration of additional applications
April to July: 2-3 Training sessions per week
September: Assessment of athlete membership in HPP, consideration of additional applications and continuation of HPP
Local and International Competitions to Summer 2015
November 7-9: Singapore Spectacular tournament
April: 2015 Hong Kong Open
June: Potential Berlin Open or Japanese Exhibition Tour
July 4-11: 2015 ASPAC Championships in Bangkok, Thailand
Athlete Selection Process
- Applicants will be assessed on a combination of lacrosse ability, athletic ability, character, commitment and attitude.
- Applicants will participate in tryouts which will be composed of lacrosse training as well as physical fitness testing.
- Athletes selected to the HPP will be continuously monitored against the selection criteria, and if found to be deficient (particularly in the areas of character, commitment and attitude), this could lead to being removed from the programme.
- Similarly, as a result of ongoing talent identification efforts, applications to join the programme will be considered on a periodic basis.
- Tryout Fee of 100 HKD
- If selected into the HPP, an additional 1 Year Programme Fee of 1,000 HKD will be required to cover basic training costs.
- Financial arrangements for tournaments will be communicated prior to the selection of the travelling squad.
Registrations due: Sept 15, 2014
Men’s Tryout Dates:
Saturday Sep 20- KGV REGISTRATION at 3:30pm
Saturday Sep 20- KGV Bball Courts Fitness Testing: Men 4-6pm
Sunday Sep 21- KGV Practice: Men 6-8pm
Thursday Sep 25- YMCA Practice: Men 730-1030pm (split into 2 groups for 90 mins each)
Sunday Sep 28- KGV Practice: Men 8-10pm (mens players with league games are excused)
Tuesday Sep 30- YMCA Practice: Men 730-830pm (final evaluation for specified mens players only)
Women's Tryout Dates:
Saturday Sep 20- KGV REGISTRATION at 1:30pm
Saturday Sep 20- KGV Bball Courts Fitness Testing: Women 2-4pm
Sunday Sep 21- HV Practice: Women 8-10pm
Tuesday Sep 23- YMCA Practice: Women 730-830pm
Sunday Sep 28- KGV Practice: Women 6-8pm
HKLA Development Officer
World Lacrosse Championship 2014 - Summary
In the 2014 FIL World Championship, Team Hong Kong placed 21st out of 38. It is a promising and satisfactory result after a 1.5 years hardwork.
It is not easy for Team Hong Kong to have 8 games in 8 day. Summary of all matches:
- 11-July, Hong Kong 13 Austria 12 (OT)
- 12-July, Hong Kong 11 Belgium 9
- 13-July, Hong Kong 2 Germany 21
- 14-July, Hong Kong 4 Poland 14
- 15-July, Hong Kong 15 Bermuda 11
- 16-July, Hong Kong 9 Latvia 19
- 17-July, Hong Kong 14 Bermuda 13
- 18-July, Hong Kong 10 Turkey 4
If you want to see more photos and videos, please visit our Facebook page.
Hong Kong Lacrosse Open 2014 - Result
Organised by the Hong Kong Lacrosse Association to mark the organisation’s 20th anniversary, an invitational tournament – the Hong Kong Open 2014 – was held over the Easter weekend at the Stanley Ho Sports Center at the University of Hong Kong.
Local spectators were in for a treat as they watched the home team, the Hong Kong men’s lacrosse team, exercise extreme lacrosse skills, strength and stamina to take the lead in the tournament’s overall rankings. Shanghai came second and South Korea, third.
Summary of all matches:
- Hong Kong 16 : Korea 5
- Shanghai 21 : China 0
- Shanghai 9 : Hong Kong 14
- Korea 19 : China 1
- Shanghai 11 : Korea 9
- Hong Kong 26 : China 1
- Korea 18 : China 0 (Consolation Game)
- Hong Kong 9 : Shanghai 6 (Championship Game)
If you want to see more photos and videos, please visit the event Facebook page.
Hong Kong 23-Man Player Announcement
(27 February, 2014) HONG KONG – The Hong Kong Lacrosse Association (HKLA) has named the 23 players who will represent Hong Kong at the Federation of International Lacrosse World Championships in Denver (July 10th – 19th).
Following a grueling selection process, the men’s national team was selected from a squad of 70 players. Returning athletes include Seven Cheng Cheung-wai who will represent Hong Kong at his second World Champs, and Leung Yau-chi who is set to compete for his fourth time. Newcomers, include team captain Joey Au-Yeung Chun-yu and Andy Yip Wai-fung.
Head coach Scott Browning said the skill and depth exhibited by the 23-man roster will continue to be built on over the coming months.
“The try-out process began last summer and has been extremely competitive. Following our Chinese New Year training camp, we finally selected a dedicated group of athletes to represent Hong Kong,” said Browning.
“There was fierce competition for spots on the roster which resulted in some difficult decisions for the coaching staff. I’ve been impressed with the commitment and desire to get better, both in terms of individual skills and as a team. Our roster has a good combination of experienced players and youthful talent. I’m confident the team will represent Hong Kong with pride and we will see an improved result from previous World Championships.”
The 2014 Hong Kong men’s lacrosse team includes:
· Joey Au-Yeung Chun-yu
· Theo Chan Tat-chun
· Seven Cheng Cheung-wai
· Dennis Cheng Chi-fung
· Robert Craighead
· Eric Fung Kong-yau
· Jeffrey Fung Hon-sing
· Hui Yau-yuen
· Timothy Kwan Che-wa
· Samuel Lau
· Kenneth Lee
· Lee Tsz-kin
· Leung Yau-chi
· Kelvin Mak Ho-chun
· Matthew Silverio
· Van Sternbergh
· Joseph Wich
· Wong Chun-hong
· Wong Hang-wai
· Gabriel Wong Kin-man
· Wilson Wong Wai-kwan
· Andy Yip Wai-fung
· Yuen Ka-wang
Ahead of the World Champs in Denver, the team is currently focused on preparing for the Hong Kong Open (18 – 21 April, 2014).
Hong Kong Lacrosse Open 2014
(HONG KONG) The Hong Kong Lacrosse Association (HKLA) has announced it will host an invitational tournament over the Easter weekend (18 – 21 April, 2014).
The Hong Kong Open will mark 20 years of HKLA
With registrations for the Hong Kong Open live until 2 March, 2014, the HKLA is challenging international teams to bring their lacrosse skills, strength and stamina to Hong Kong in order to help mark the organization’s 20th anniversary.
“We welcome teams from across the lacrosse world to enter the Hong Kong Open.”
—Louis Hou, Executive Director of HKLA
Louis Hou, executive director of the HKLA, the governing body of lacrosse in Hong Kong, says along with celebrating an important local milestone for the sport, the tournament is an excellent opportunity for teams preparing to compete at the upcoming Federation of International Lacrosse World Championships. “We welcome teams from across the lacrosse world to enter the Hong Kong Open. It will serve as a chance for players to compete against a roster of international sides, as well as help raise the profile of the sport here,” Hou said.
In Hong Kong, lacrosse has a long tradition as a club sport played by students and graduates of the residential halls at the University of Hong Kong. “We hope the tournament will help fuel public interest and excitement in the sport, in turn helping us to grow it at a grass roots level,” added Hou.
Hong Kong Open 2014:
- Game dates: 18 – 21 April, 2014
- Teams: 23 players per team, five bench staff; maximum of six men’s teams
- Game rules: FIL 2013 – 2014 men’s field lacrosse rules
- Team fee: US$1,500 (includes accommodation for 17 – 22 April; transport to/ from playing fields)
- Application deadline: 2 March, 2014
- Team confirmation: 9 March, 2014
- Team fee payment deadline: 17 March, 2014
The Hong Kong men’s lacrosse team is gearing up to compete in the Federation of International Lacrosse World Championships in Denver in 2014 from July 10-19.
Held every four years, the FIL World Championships hosts the premier event in international lacrosse. Forty countries are expected to participate in the 2014 World Championships, including national teams from the United States, Canada and the Iroquois Nationals featuring the world’s elite players.
Following a convincing first-place finish at the 2013 Singha Battles Lacrosse Invitational tournament held in Bangkok, the Hong Kong team showcased sharp form with wins over Singapore (13-8), Thailand (12-6) and Malaysia (11-2).
Louis Hou, executive director of the Hong Kong Lacrosse Association (HKLA), the governing body of lacrosse in Hong Kong, says he is looking forward to seeing Hong Kong make its mark at the upcoming World Championships.
“We held extremely competitive tryouts over the summer to put together our current roster of 28 players, and 23 out of this group will proudly represent Hong Kong at the World Championships,” he said. “Right now, the team is focused on training to be in peak physical and mental condition for the challenges that lie ahead in Denver. We are committed to putting Hong Kong lacrosse on the map.”
While lacrosse is not widely played in Hong Kong, the sport has a long tradition as a club sport played by students and graduates of the residential halls at the University of Hong Kong through an eight-team league organized by the HKLA. “We hope the team’s journey to Denver will spark greater interest in the game and inspire a new generation of home-grown talent,” added Hou.
Head coach Scott Browning believes the Hong Kong squad has the potential to develop into a strong contender in its division in Denver. Browning, who is from Canada and coached the Canadian National U19 team in 1999 and again as an assistant coach in 2012, says it is empowering to note some of Hong Kong’s most promising lacrosse players have come through local club programs.
“It’s great to see local lacrosse initiatives in Hong Kong produce such good talent,” he said. “While a few of our players hail from US Division I and Division III college programs, the bulk of our team is home grown, with players who learned how to play lacrosse while they were in university.”
“Coming off a successful campaign in the Singha Battles tournament, we still have a lot of work to do, as the competition in Denver will be tougher than the teams we have faced so far. Our guys are ready to take on this challenge and are committed to being in the best form they can be when Hong Kong competes on the world stage next year.”
Prior to the World Championships in Denver, the HKLA will host an international exhibition tournament in April 2014. Details about this tournament will be released in the coming weeks. To stay on top of the Hong Kong Lacrosse Team’s road to Denver, follow updates on Facebook and Twitter.
HKLA is now recruiting professional to design and implement lacrosse developmental programmes.
Main role is designing and implementing developmental programmes such as youth, coach and U-teams. Being a direct report to the HKLA Director, weekly review meeting and monthly progress report are expected.
Below is the detail of the post. Please send your CV to Louis Hou (email@example.com)
The Development Officer (DO) will plan, direct and implement the development of Lacrosse throughout Hong Kong and in the region. The DO will be, for the time being, the principal full-time executive member of staff and will report directly to the Managing Director.
Contracted staff of 1-year term
Devise and execute an implementation plan for the development of Lacrosse throughout Hong Kong in line with the Hong Kong Lacrosse Association (HKLA) Year Plan. Specifically to include the following:
- Develop and initiatives and systems for a progressive increase in membership
- Responsible for coordinating and organizing domestic events and international events/tournaments
- Provide support to existing Clubs and teams
- Identify and implement opportunities in clubs and schools for the introduction of Lacrosse
- Develop and introduce the Development Programme, introducing coaches to schools and facilitating liaison between schools and local clubs
- Contribute to the other Youth Programmes
- Assist with the development and delivery of coach and referee education
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities locally and nationally
- maintain existing IT systems and social media, e.g. website, event registration/organization, facebook page, etc.
- Attend monthly board meetings as requested
- Degree or equivalent in development or related subject
- 3 years experience in sports coaching, development or similar role
- At least 2-year experience in the field of Lacrosse
- Has a sound knowledge and experience of Hong Kong Lacrosse environment and culture
- A good knowledge and experience of using Microsoft Office applications and Internet interface
- Driving licence is a plus
Further Requirements and Personal Qualities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Personable and approachable
- Effective management and interpersonal skills
- Proven planning and organizational skills
- A sound knowledge of coaching theory and practice
- Fluent speaking English is a must and Cantonese speaking ability is a plus
- Enthusiasm to implement best practice in the continuing professional development of coaches, club officials and volunteers working in this sport
- Flexibility - this position will require the successful candidate to work some evenings and weekends.
Lacrosse Seven 2013
Do you want to experience a day with full of excitement, joy and friendship? Let's try Lacrosse Seven!!!
|Date:||11-Aug, 2013 (SUN)|
|Time:||11:30 - 15:00|
King's Park Sports Ground (Pitch 2)
11 Wylie path, Ho Man Tin, Kowloon
|Team:||HKLA will assign team for each player, 4-6 teams per division depends on the number of players|
|Fee:||HKD $150 per player and will be collected on the field|
|Registration:||All players please visit http://hkll.leagueapps.com and register as member first, and then register the event as free agent under tournament tab|
Hong Kong Womens team roster for World Cup is confirmed
The Hong Kong Team will be participating in the Women's World Cup for the first time ever! The tournament will be held between July 10 - 20, 2013 in Oshawa, Ontario Canada. The final roster is confirmed, and the team will be departing Hong Kong on the 7th July.
To see the roster detail, please click here.
Please follow and support us on Facebook.
To find out more about the tournament, please visit http://www.2013worldlacrosse.com.
Hong Kong Mens team Roster list after 2nd tryout camp is announced
|40 player roster list|
|4||Kevin Chan||26||Chak Hoi Lam|
|30||Benson Lee Zhu||35||Hang Wai Wong|
|55||Edwin Leung||69||Matthew Silverio|
|13||Chi Ho Lam||14||Yat Chun Chan|
|15||Chi Kong Chiu||17||Ho Chun Kelvin Mak|
|18||Tsz Kin Lee||19||Che Wa Kwan|
|33||Chun Yu Au Yeung||34||Long Fung|
|36||Joseph C Wich||37||Van Sternbergh|
|54||Kin Man Wong||56||Cheung Wai Cheng|
|6||Wai Fung Yip||11||Samuel Lau|
|24||Robert Craighead||38||Chi Fung Cheng|
|39||Chun Hong Wong||40||Ho Hung Cheung|
|41||Ka Wang Yuen||12||Wai Kwan Wong|
|46||Yau Yuen Hui||62||Wesley Yau|
Lacrosse Seven 2012
Do you want to experience a day with full of excitement, joy and friendship? Let's try Lacrosse Seven!!!
This year, Lacrosse Seven will be held on 26-Aug, 11am-5pm, at King George 5 School
There will be
- 7 a side Men's (4 teams)
- 7 a side Women's (4 teams)
- 7 a side Mixed (4 teams)
Please click here to register.
For enquiry or registration, please send email to either Gabriel, Gem, Joyce or Louis.